Saturday, April 18, 2009

4-18-09
Love is in the air.  Weddings are a funny thing.  Even the people who find it necessary to NOT follow the "norm", still do just that very thing.  They follow a set of guidlines, maybe those guidelines are interpreted differently, but they still conform.  Because they are in love.  Because they want to share that love with their best friends and family.  Because they are best friends, soulmates, incomplete without each other.  

I wonder when it all changes.  I mean, with some people, that "wedding day feeling" doesn't go away.  And that's great for them.  I thought that is what I had.  Actually, I never thought that's what I had, but I wouldn't have admitted it.

Weddings spark a funny feeling in me... not funny as in "ha ha!", but funny as uncomfortabe, unfamiliar, and even sad, remorseful.  I'm so happy for the blissful couple, but at the same time, I can see myself in them, about 23 years ago, so full of joy and hope for the future.  Now that is all a lifetime ago, and I wonder (worry) about what the future holds for me.  My kids are growing up, and I feel utterly alone.  I kind of like that "alone" feeling, but it also kind of horrifies me.  

Weddings are really special.  But they sure stir up all these contradictory feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment